SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 09/25/13 -- ORACLE OPENWORLD -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
In wake of budget cuts and public scrutiny over costs, state and local governments are constantly looking to do more with less, while still delivering valuable services to citizens. Supporting more than one million residents, Pinellas County, FL determined it could optimize its $1.7 billion annual budget by transforming its financial management infrastructure with Oracle. By running its budgeting and financial analytics software on Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine, the county has halved hardware costs and significantly improved budgetary decision-making, allowing officials to focus on delivering important services to its growing community.
- To maximize its resources and lower operational costs, Pinellas County, FL is using Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine X3-4 for financial reporting.
- Pinellas Country replaced its aging IT infrastructure of 32 HP servers with two Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machines, greatly reducing its hardware footprint, energy consumption and costs.
- The engineered systems run Pinellas County's financial reporting software, which includes Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation Suite, and Oracle Hyperion Public Sector Planning and Budgeting.
- Oracle Exalytics is helping Pinellas County extend financial reporting and boost operational efficiencies by delivering:
- Faster Reporting: With an optimized, integrated stack, Pinellas County has reduced budget reporting from eight hours down to one hour.
- Improved Ad Hoc Analysis: The in-memory database in Oracle Exalytics, based on Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database, loads valuable dashboards in mere seconds.
- Lower Hardware Costs: In addition to drastically reducing resources spent on hardware maintenance, heating and cooling, the engineered systems saved Pinellas County $150,000 upfront compared to a standard hardware refresh.
- New Self-Service Insights: The upgraded hardware provides the foundation to extend access to business intelligence through the launch of a new online portal for country employees to easily analyze data.
- Greater Data Availability: With Oracle Exalytics, network data transfer is 40 times faster, allowing the county to speed backup and restoration.
- Next, Pinellas County is planning to implement Oracle Exadata Database Machine, leveraging the engineered system for additional hardware consolidation and capitalizing on optimized InfiniBand connectivity with Oracle Exalytics to extend performance.