LOS ANGELES, June 19, 2014 /CNW/ -- UBM Canon and Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry (MD+DI) have announced the winning products of the 2014 Medical Design Excellence Awards, the medtech industry's premier design competition. The winners were announced live during the 17th Annual MDEA Ceremony on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York. The ceremony was held in conjunction with MD&M East, the largest medtech event on the East Coast. During the ceremony:
- The 2014 MDEA Finalists and their Suppliers were honored for their innovative contributions to the medtech industry.
- Bronze, Silver, and Gold Winners were announced in 11 medtech categories.
- AtomoRapid HIV test was awarded overall Best-in-Show
- Persona, the Personalized Knee System won the Readers' Choice Award.
- Dean Kamen was recognized as the 2014 MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient.
- and the NCIIA announced the winners of the 2014 BMEidea biomedical engineering competition for university students
The MDEA Program recognizes the achievements of medical device manufacturers, their suppliers, and the many people behind the scenes””engineers, scientists, designers, and clinicians””who are responsible for the groundbreaking innovations that are saving lives; improving patient healthcare; and transforming medtech worldwide””one innovation at a time.
Unlike other design competitions, MDEA entries are evaluated by an impartial panel of medtech experts jurors comprised of a mix of practicing doctors, nurses, and technicians alongside industrial designers, engineers, manufacturers, and human factors experts. MDEA winning entries must excel in areas of design and engineering excellence; manufacturing and technological innovation; clinical efficacy; cost-effectiveness; as well as overall benefits to patients, end-users, and the healthcare industry.
The 2014 MDEA Juror Panel selected 33 exceptional winning products from among 54 finalists in 11 medical technology product categories.
2014 MDEA WINNING Products and Manufacturers (alphabetical by category):
Visit the MDEA Winners listing on MD+DI for a complete listing, including manufacturer, supplier, and submitter companies credits, as well as product photos and descriptions
CRITICAL-CARE AND EMERGENCY MEDICINE PRODUCTS
- GOLD WINNER Hemolung RAS system. Manufactured by ALung Technologies (Pittsburgh, PA).
- SILVER WINNER ARKON anesthesia delivery system. Manufactured by Spacelabs He