SAN DIEGO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/24/14 --
The new GuardianOS integrates replication, thin provisioning, snapshots and backup. Users are able to mix and match hard drives of different capacities in the same storage array for uninterrupted storage growth. The thinly provisioned storage pools allow multiple NAS volumes and iSCSI LUNs to share the same resources and data protection for simplified administration.
New GuardianOS Software Features
- Data protection, volume management and provisioning enable an administrator to easily add storage as business needs change, and automatically integrates new capacity to increase storage space for all client systems.
- BitTorrent Sync enables customers to conveniently create their own private cloud on a SnapServer NAS without the hassle, risk and expense of a third-party cloud service.
- High-Performance Snapshots are linked to the SnapServer file system for more efficient capacity utilization, and offers an up to 3x improvement in write performance.
- Automated software replication initiates offsite movement of files for disaster recovery and backup.
- The Windows-only Tree improves Permission Handling and Authentication enabling Windows and UNIX/Mac users to easily share files in mixed environments.
- The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) allows administrators to set permissions and specify access to directories through name lookup to and from a unique user identifier (UID).
- The new SnapServer Printer Sharing feature eliminates the need for a separate, dedicated print server by sharing printing services to multiple users on the same local area network.
- Server Message Block (SMB) 2.0 improves read and write performance for Windows clients and servers when accessing SnapServer storage.
"The new GuardianOS storage architecture empowers SnapServer customers to protect, grow and securely access data remotely all from a single interface," said Jeremy Zuber, product manager for Overland Storage. "SnapServer administrators can better plan their storage resource requirements for future growth and simplify provisioning across users and departments."
Commenting on the news, Evan Sackstein, vice president of sales for BackupWorks (www.backupworks.com), a data storage reseller of Overland Storage products, said, "These new Guardian OS features give our customers increased performance and flexibility to share files in heterogeneous environments and adapt to changes in their businesses."
The new GuardianOS software is available now for download by SnapServer DX customers at http://support.overlandstorage.com/support/snapserver-nas.htm, and as a free upgrade for all new SnapServer customers.
About SnapServer DX Series