Stagecoach Group plc operates as a public transportation company. The company has operations in the United Kingdom, the United States, and Canada. It operates bus, coach, train and tram services. Divisions The company has three main divisions: U.K. Bus, U.K. Rail and North America. U.K. Bus U.K. Bus Division connects communities in approximately 100 towns and cities across the U.K. on networks stretching from the Highlands of Scotland to south west England. These include major city bus operations in Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield, Cambridge and Exeter. U.K. Bus Division operates a fleet of approximately 7,000 buses across regional operating units. Stagecoach operates express coach services linking major towns within its regional operating company areas. The company also runs the budget inter-city coach service, megabus.com. Its local and express bus services on average carry approximately 2 million passengers each weekday. Stagecoach’s bus and coach services in the U.K. are operated on a commercial basis in a largely deregulated market. The company also operates tendered services, including schools contracts, on behalf of local authorities. North America Stagecoach, principally through its Coach USA and Coach Canada brands, provides transport services in North America. The company’s businesses include commuter/transit services, inter-city services, tour and charter, sightseeing and school bus operations. Stagecoach (excluding its joint ventures) operates approximately 2,300 vehicles in the United States where the company’s operations are mainly in the states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. Its services operate in major cities such as New York City, Newark, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Milwaukee. In Canada, the company owns two operating companies, which together operate approximately 500 vehicles in the Provinces of Quebec and Ontario. U.K. Rail Stagecoach Group has major rail operations in the U.K. The company’s principal wholly owned rail businesses are South Western Trains and East Midlands Trains. South Western Trains incorporates the South West Trains and Island Line networks. South West Trains runs approximately 1,600 train services a day in south west England out of London Waterloo railway station, while Island Line operates on the Isle of Wight. It operates the East Midlands Trains franchise. The franchise comprises main line train services running to London St Pancras, regional rail services in the East Midlands area and inter-regional services between Norwich and Liverpool. The company also operates Supertram, a 28 km light rail network incorporating three routes in the city of Sheffield. In 2007, the company signed a contract with Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive (GMPTE) to operate and maintain the Manchester Metrolink tram network. Joint Ventures Virgin Rail Group Stagecoach Group has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast Trains rail franchise and operated the CrossCountry Trains rail franchise. The other shareholder in Virgin Rail Group is the Virgin Group of Companies. Scottish Citylink Coaches Limited In Scotland, Stagecoach has a joint venture (Scottish Citylink Coaches Limited) with international transport group, ComfortDelGro, to operate megabus.com and Scottish Citylink coach services. Stagecoach owns 35% of the share capital of Scottish Citylink Coaches Limited and ComfortDelGro owns the remaining 65%. The joint venture is the provider of express coach services in Scotland. New York Splash Tours In North America, Stagecoach has a joint venture, New York Splash Tours LLC, with Port Imperial Duck Charters LLC. The vehicles operate in the Hudson River and on land in the city of New York. Splash Tours complements the company’s New York sightseeing tours joint venture, Twin America. Twin America In North America, Stagecoach began operating a joint venture, Twin America LLC, with CitySights NY in March 2009. The joint venture operates sightseeing services in New York under both the Gray Line and CitySights brands. The company holds 60% of the economic rights and 50% of the voting rights in the joint venture. History Stagecoach Group plc was founded in 1980.
stagecoach group plc (SGC:London)
10 Dunkeld Road
Perth, PH1 5TW
Phone: 44 17 3844 2111
Fax: 44 17 3864 3648www.stagecoachgroup.com
|Carillion PLC||332.60 GBp||+9.10|
|ComfortDelGro Corp Ltd||$2.64 SGD||+0.12|
|Flight Centre Travel Group Ltd||A$41.92 AUD||-0.39|
|Go-Ahead Group PLC||2,460 GBp||+7.00|
|National Express Group PLC||249.00 GBp||+2.80|
|View Industry Companies|
Sponsored Financial Commentaries
To contact STAGECOACH GROUP PLC, please visit www.stagecoachgroup.com. Company data is provided by Capital IQ. Please use this form to report any data issues.